Hello.

I'm using Bering-uClibc (not sure which version since the box is
headless) with Linux 2.4.32. It's running on a 486 with four 3c509's
in it. One is connected to a Motorola Surfboard 4200 cable modem.

When I get online with my Windows laptop using my LEAF box as a
gateway, my downloads are poor (50-60kB/s) but when I connect my
Windows laptop directly to the modem, they are more reasonable
(200-400kB/s). Before I cry to my Internet provider, I'd like to
eliminate my system from the list of possible problems.

I've used this exact same 486 in a different setup where it was
actually a router behind another commercial router which was connected
to a cable modem with much better speeds.

When connecting the modem directly to my laptop, I notice that I get
an IP address from a completely different network range than what my
LEAF box gets. When I plug my LEAF box back in, it gets the same IP
address as it had before. I've tried changing the MAC address of my
eth0 adapter to the MAC address of my laptop's ethernet adapter and
then my LEAF box gets the same IP address that my laptop got, but my
speeds are still poor.

Is there anything that I can do to eliminate the possibility that my
Linux box is causing the problem? Does anyone know what the problem
could be?

If you need any additional information, just ask.

Thanks.

Andy