Hi Andrew,

>(Sorry, Eric. I hit Reply and not Reply-All.)
>
>On 2/25/07, Eric Spakman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> It may be a duplex mismatch, you can check the link errors with 'ip -s
>> link'
>I looked up a bit about duplexing and this NIC after a friend suggested that.
>
>Here's what I get from that command:
>

>3: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen
>1000
>link/ether 00:20:af:17:57:b2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>RX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped overrun mcast
>741077003  1773743  18161   0       18161   0
>TX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped carrier collsns
>438580149  852431   0       0       219     2150
>4: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
>link/ether 00:20:af:3f:53:d4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>RX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped overrun mcast
>440479032  855735   4271    0       4271    0
>TX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped carrier collsns
>680103683  783492   0       0       0       4193
>
>eth0 is connected to the Internet and eth1 is on the local network
>side. There are errors showing up but I'm not too sure how to read the
>above output.
>
>I gave up attempting trying to fix any kind of duplexing issues when a
>document I was reading said that I must be using a switch and *not* a
>hub. I'm using a hub. It does appear, however, that the 3c509B (Sorry
>for forgetting the B earlier, I didn't know how important it is!) can
>do 10Mb/s duplex, but the hub kinda ruins that.

Yes, hubs an full-duplex is a no-go. Those old 3com cards mostly have
a (dos) utility diskette where you can set the duplex mode and speed.
Those tools should be available on the net somewhere and can be run
from a freedos bootdisk or so.

You could try to force the cards in half-duplex mode, because I think
the errors are because of a mismatch.

You could also try the ethtool.lrp package first (if it supports your
card, which I'm not sure about). But this can only set the duplex
non-permanent.

>Thanks for your reply.
>
>Andy

Eric