On 2/25/07, Tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> George is correct.  I saw a similar issue with my business's switch.  It
> was set to force 100M Full duplex and the cards on the machines were set
> to auto.  They weren't switching to Full Duplex so while everything
> worked, it was slow and very heavy with errors....specifically overruns
> and collisions.  Once I set the cards to match, there are very few (VERY
> few, a few dozen per 10M of traffic)
As I said, my 3c509B's default to half-duplex. When I used ethtool to
force them to full, speeds were still slow. Perhaps I'm
misunderstanding something. You all seem to be suggesting that my
10Mbit card is only capable of ~1Mbit under this setup. Wouldn't that
make it pretty pathetic on a normal LAN?

> So what was the output to the ip -s command?  Without this, you're
> assuming there's no difference.
3: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:20:af:17:57:b2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    RX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped overrun mcast
    741077003  1773743  18161   0       18161   0
    TX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped carrier collsns
    438580149  852431   0       0       219     2150
4: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:20:af:3f:53:d4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    RX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped overrun mcast
    440479032  855735   4271    0       4271    0
    TX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped carrier collsns
    680103683  783492   0       0       0       4193

I'm not too sure what the errors mean or how to really "read" them.

> Did you boot into a DOS environment and check the cards with the 3com
> program?
I haven't booted them into DOS just yet as that wouldn't seem to tell
me anything new. Ethtool tells me what sort of duplex they are using
and lets me change it temporarily. If I determined that I just needed
to set the cards to go to full duplex then I could go to the trouble
to do this.

Also, the router is running on an ISA-only motherboard with no IDE
ports and I have no ISA VGA cards. When I installed the second pair of
3c509B's, I had to put them on my ASUS CUBX-E (AGP, PCI, ISA) which is
in a fairly unwieldy case (Antec SX1030B) to change the IO ports
before they would all work in Linux.

> Did you try dslreports.com to check what your neighbors might have
> reported for their speeds?
I don't see why I would need to do this? I have seen myself that my
modem is capable of providing excellent speeds depending on the
machine it is plugged into. I have a housemate and he has seen the
same.

> They also have a speed test available in their tools section.
I've done this when my laptop is directly plugged in and when it is
behind the router. Behind the router, the speeds are pretty slow.
Plugged into the modem, speeds are excellent.

Andy