>> One thing I've always hated was to search netfilter.org and find patches
>> or whatever,
>>

> True, but there is no way around :-(
>
> Kernel 2.6 has most of the modern goodies, but it is substantially
> larger than 2.4 and it will be very difficult to fit a working system on
> a single floppy.

Lets be honest who needs a floppy nowdays ( I think they are very
difficult to find and very expensive )
I have bought recently a CF 512M flash card ( No smaller card was
available )  + the adaptor  for  27 Euros and  I don't  reside  in the
cheapest area in Europe.

Lets make a poll to find out how many of us are booting bering from a
floppy and decide from there.

Personally I've been using Bering-uClibc for 5-6 years I started from a
floppy on a 486, when I pushed the button to boot I had to go and make a
cup of coffee call a friend and then work on it again.
>> I think I'll start slow and move my boxes to openwrt where the kernel is 2.6
>>

> I am in the early phases of a 2.6 LEAF mainly because 2.4 is loosing
> development momentum.

Yesterday I downloaded openwrt ( kamikaze ),
I played a bit around and build (x86) a system that It supposed to boot,
in no time on my laptop ( Actually I was away ) with no problems.

Then I changed a few vars and build a mipsel image of the same config.

I would kill to see THIS on our ENV which I've worked with it for years,
I am  familiar ( debian look and feel )  and love it.

Enough said,

Regards,
Harry