>main Hw decides to buy the farm. I have recently also salvaged a 5 1/2"
>floppy drive just in case I want to go really medieval on this...and yes
>I have the floppies for a lifetime. I could always go to the
Pc-superstore

We also keep OLD hardware around, just in case.  There's never enough
budget to recopy all our old backups to new media, and our legal
department wouldn't even allow it.  We try hard to preserve our ability
to read any media we've ever used, even if we're not sure, but think
maybe someone might have, somewhere.

When NASA was planning its missions to Jupiter, it figured out it had
some useful data from old Voyager missions.  They found the tapes, nicely
cataloged.  But they were 7-track tapes.  Over the years ALL their
computers had been upgraded and replaced.  Call IBM!  "Sorry, Sir, we
don't have any customers with maintenance contracts on 7-track tape
drives.  We don't know where you could read those tapes.  Have you tried
one of the computer museums?"  "Then MAKE us one!"  "Umm, we'll get back
to you, Sir."  "Sir, we're sorry, we can find some old 9-track drives,
but we don't have any 7-track heads in any inventory.  We haven't made
any of those since the 50's."  Months later.  "Umm, Sir?  Are you still
interested in a 7-track tape drive?  One of our people found one that had
fallen behind a rack.  We might be able to re-engineer one of the last
9-track drive models to use it.  Would you like an RPQ? (Request for
Price Quotation)"  "Sir, we have your RPQ available.  That would be
$1,000,000.  Would you like us to proceed?"

Paul Rogers  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/
http://www.geocities.com/paulgrogers/
(I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
:-)