On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 22:11 +0300, Bob Gregory wrote:
> My production firewall boxen are still running off diskettes. The downside
> compared with a CF/IDE box I use for testing is (1) slower boot and (2)
> limited space for packages. But as long as the required packages fit on a
> diskette, this is just not an issue for a firewall that reboots maybe a
> couple of times a year.

Don't forget:
(3) poor media/drive reliability
(4) ease of maintainability (not many new machines have floppy drives)

I've been running LEAF/LRP systems for over 6 years.  The only problems
I've had with the machines not booting has been bad floppies (4 times).
Since converting to CF I've never had a problem (with several more
installs as well).  Personally, I don't consider floppies economical for
even home installs anymore (ide->cf + cf card is about $30 - $40 / unit
retail).

I should mention that even with floppies my LEAF firewalls still beat my
Cisco routers (doing the firewalling) for reliability :)
--
Trev Peterson
Advanced Reality