Hi Eric

My plan is indeed to load the packages from an ext2 fs ..
So what I did was the following:

initrd.lrp

  initrd.lrp is a different package - it's a compressed, minix formatted
  filesystem. To add or change it's content you have to uncompress it and mount
  it on a minix formatted mount point:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=initrd bs=1k count=1500
  mkfs.minix initrd 4096
  mount -t minix initrd /mnt -o loop

  Copy the contents for the initrd package to the /mnt directory:
       this is the ext2.o file

  sync
  umount /mnt
  gzip -9 initrd
  mv initrd.gz initrd.lrp

then when I try to start the machine to see if everything still works I
get this error:
Warning : unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to Kernel.

*and everything hangs*
ps: it's still on a fat filesystem .. but that's still inside the
initrd normally so it shouldn't make any difference

Tom