You can't because there isn't modutils tools of 2.4 kernel included in
Bering-uClibc or, what I can tell, in any of its ancestors for size
reasons, I guess.

I have a box with two NICs run by 3c59x drivers on Bering-uClibc 3.1.
What I can remember, there wasn't any problems getting them operational.

What about running some Linux LiveCD system on your box and checking, if
it can find the NICs? If it can't, then your problem is in hardware.

Which reminds me of couple problems, I had with PCI-bus configurations
and 2.4 kernels. The last one was with PCI parity feature enabled in
BIOS, what prevented the second NIC to operate The second problem was
related to irq sharing (commonly IRQ 11) on PCI-bus, but can't remember
the fix.

Kernels and modules do have extensive options by which most problems can
be solved ie. if hardware works ok, and even if it doesn't in case of
faulty/nonexistent defaults in BIOS, there is many kernel options to get
the hardware operational. The problem is that often it has been most
work in digging what available options are.

Erkki