Gordon Bos wrote:
> Victor McAllister wrote:
>
>> Write protected hardware requires physical access to the LEAF box. A
>> software write protect has the advantage that you can set and unset the
>> read and write access to the boot media with putty, ssh. I use two
>> scripts loaded by local.lrp. Granted this is a little cumbersome because
>> you have to keep a copy of  three modules on your desktop machine and
>> scp / winscp them over as needed. If you command a reboot, the machine
>> is restored to read write status since the scripts are only run manually
>> via ssh.
>>

> I'm kind of puzzled why you would not run the delete script at boottime.
> How can you be sure that the system won't reboot without you knowing it?

uptime 473 days

if I do an uptime and it says 1 day - I will investigate why.
(I use a WRAP with a 12 volt battery connected via diodes in parallel
with the power supply. The dsl modem and switches are on a UPS. If the
AC goes down, my network connection stays up for several hours so
laptops can still have access.  That is why the LEAF stays up even when
the power goes down several times a year.).

I only need to SCP the modules over to back up a configuration change.
The files necessary for boot are still on the boot media,  just not in
ram. As you say, no security is perfect. Someone who reads this post, if
they could break in, could figure out what modules to bring along. They
would need SSH access which is only open to specific public IPs.