On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 15:53 +0100, Juergen Northe wrote:
> Hello,
> I can't create a bridge because brctl command complains about missing
> package bridge.I followed the instruction
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/bubridge.html
> and added the bridge.ko module into modules.lrp package. The via_rhine
> is included by default.
>
> brctl addbr br0
> add bridge failed: Package not installed
>
> So I checked these items but can't find the missing point:
> grep bridge /etc/modules
> bridge
>
> ls -l /lib/modules/bridge.ko
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         79985 Feb 20 15:17
> /lib/modules/bridge.ko
>
> lsmod | grep via
> via_rhine 14097 0 - Live 0x90ac6000
> mii 2658 1 via_rhine, Live 0x90ab6000
> crc32 8979 2 mac80211,via_rhine, Live 0x90aaa000
>
> grep brid /lib/modules/modules.dep
> bridge.ko:
>
> cat /var/lib/lrpkg/bridge.version
> 1.2 Rev 1 uClibc 0.9.30.3
>
> grep bridge /mnt/sda1/leaf.cfg
> LRP="root config etc modules mawk iptables dhcpcd keyboard libm libnl
> libssl libcrpto libelf libz libpcap ppp pppoe bridge wireless madwifi
> tcpdump perl shorwall sshkey sshd ssh dropbear hostapd ncurses tcpdump
> tc radius mhttpd webconf rsync elvis ntpd"
>
> What is missing to get brctl working ? I found the thread "Bridge=Yes
> in Shorewall" but this does not fit to 2.6 kernel of 4.0x version.
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards
> Juergen

Hi Juergen,

So the "add bridge failed: Package not installed" seems to be
complaining that Module bridge.ko is not installed in the running kernel
(so not reported with "lsmod").

You need to copy bridge.ko into /lib/modules/
Then you need to run "depmod"
Then you need to run "modprobe bridge"

I found that I also had to copy stp.ko and llc.ko into /lib/modules/
before "modprobe bridge" would work.

Check for errors in /var/log/messages after you run "modprobe bridge".
Normally errors like "bridge: Unknown symbol llc_mac_hdr_init (err 0)"
can be solved by also copying module llc.ko into /lib/modules/ and
trying again.

I see that http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/bubridge.html has not been
migrated to the new Wiki User Guide. I will fix that and update the
content for Bering-uClibc 4.x

davidMbrooke