Hi,
I had (have) them all ;-)
You can not compare both ideas of having a router OS.
DD-WRT is easy to use; web interface; a given ritch feature set with backup and
recovery. You will have a very fast ROI. But if you want more - it gets more
complicated.
For running Bering you need more knowledge of linux. With it's packages it
gives you a feature set which is enterprise level and above. Also it is not
limited to a series of routers running on - but here DD-WRT is getting better.
Combine both worlds: Run your Asus, D-Link or Linksys router with DD-WRT and
manage your application firewall and it'S services with bering and you'll have
them all ;-)

Juergen

Am Do. 12. Jul. 2012 23:17 CEST, Andrew <ni...@seti.kr.ua> schrieb:

> 07.07.2012 12:43, Jim Ford пишет:
> > For some years I ran Bering-Leaf on an old desktop PC. I eventually got
> > fed up with the noise, and also suspicious of the energy it used. More
> > recently I've been using a Buffalo router running DD-WRT, which seems to
> > work well.
> >
> > It seems to me that DD-WRT does as much as Bering-Leaf. Can anyone point
> > out where Bering-Leaf scores over DD-WRT please, as I'm reluctant to
> > completely abandon 'Leaf and am looking into getting it running on a
> > Raspberry-Pi.
> >
> > Jim
> Hi.
> IMHO LEAF is placed somewhere between generic fully-featured linux
> distros and specialized embedded distros/firmwares (like *WRT and
> embedded platform SDKs). It has packets and packet manager similar to
> *WRT, but it's better suitable for run-itme package upgrading. From

> other side, it has mostly vanilla sources; 3rd-part hacks are included
> only in special cases (like cross-compile hacks, work with uClibc, or
> kernel patches for CPU that isn't supported in vanilla kernel), also
> userland packages are generic for arch, not optimized for sub-arch
> (CPU). In *WRT there are a lot of patches for each package.
> Also AFAIK *WRT haven't thing like dedicated kernel module package that
> can be easily modified by user, and haven't probing of modules from

> tarball stored somewhere on flash.

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Jürgen Northe