Hi Erich,

> I felt pretty sure, as I checked the set up more that once. BUt yes, you
> are right, pulling down the interface shows that indeed the ethernet
> numbering had nothing to do with the way I am used to.
Indeed - it was quite a surprise to me at the time too, since one
expects all kinds of issues when trying a new piece of hardware, but not
that the network ports are arranged as "eth1 eth3 eth2 eth0" on one
model (NSA 1040), and "eth2 eth3 eth0 eth1" on the other (NSA 1045)...

> I do not trust in trial and error and feel like there must be a way to
> forcibly enumerate the interfaces. How did you solve the issue, as this
> is quite a showstopper.
We never really solved it - since the assignment to the network ports
didn't change with different versions of Linux (various versions of
Leaf, but we also tried RHEL once), we simply labeled the ports with
little stickers. It didn't look terribly professional, but it worked.

Martin