Hi Erich,

 > you probably followed the the list, here still an update
I did - I just didn't have anything meaningful to add :-)

> The main difference between my setting on BuC 3.x and 4.3 was the module
> have overcome the network naming easily with just forcing the sequence
> in /etc/modules.
Ok, that might explain why we never had any issues - if I recall
correctly, we only started using BuC 4.x after replacing those boxes.

> Should you want to take these stickers off, some near future will
> possibly provide you with bbnameif.lrp in BuCxx
It will be good to have that lrp if the problem arises again - thank you
for the work you put in to solve this issue.

Since we didn't need all that many network ports, we've switched to
different boxes that use less energy while being faster and more quiet
than our old NSA... boxes:
http://www.nexcom.com/Products/network-and-communication-solutions/desktop-appliance/desktop-appliance/communication-gateway-dna-1110

They're quite nice, if 4 ports are sufficient (but they're a bit pricey).

Martin