My Shorewall problem is solved for practical purposes, but now I am curious :-)

So what is the dhcpcd configuration option "background" good for? The
documentation says:

background
             Background immediately.  This is useful for startup scripts which
             don't disable link messages for carrier status.

What (if anything) have I given up by commenting out "background"?

What would have to be done for Shorewall to start successfully with
the dhcpcd "background" option turned on?

Seems to me from Leaf's point of view, while in a perfect world
Shorewall's startup scripts could cope with dhcpcd's background, the
pragmatic answer is that Leaf's dhcpcd and shorewall package defaults
should be compatible.