Hi Tim,

Just a hunch, but “garbage” after the BIOS prompt is a classic symptom of
a baud rate mis-match on the serial console.

Might be worth checking what your terminal it set to use versus what is set
for the kernel boot line in syslinux.cfg (115200 IIRC these days whereas
it used to be 19200 in older versions).
If you change it for the kernel bear in mind it’s also set (separately) for the
login prompt in /etc/inittab

dMb