Hi Bob

Am 26.03.2016 um 19:52 schrieb Bob von Knobloch:
Hi,
I'm sure its me missing something, but I'll ask anyway. My LEAF box is
currently configured for PPPOE on its eth0. I don't want this any more
(having to go to VOIP necessitates using a Fritz Box as my ISP interface
(to get ISDN S0) and wish to reconfigure LEAF's eth0 for 'normal' IP
(I'll put it behind the Fritz Box to do proper firewalling).

In the /etc/network/intefaces file, I've commented out :

#auto ppp0
#iface ppp0 inet ppp
#       pre-up ip link set eth0 up
#       provider dsl-provider eth0

and uncommented:

iface eth0 inet static

          address 192.168.142.1
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          broadcast 192.168.142.255
          gateway 192.168.142.1

and I've remed the ppp packages from leaf.cfg
But I cannot get my IP address to appear on eth0.
I can add it manually with "ip addr add x.x.x.x/24 dev eth0"
but not from the startup script.

Have you added

auto eth0

to /etc/network/interfaces