Am 29.03.2016 um 09:33 schrieb Bob von Knobloch:

> "auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>
>             address 192.168.142.1
>             netmask 255.255.255.0
>             broadcast 192.168.142.255
>             gateway 192.168.142.254
> "
>
> is not setting the ipv4 address on eth0
>
> (i.e. "ip addr" shows only the mac address, no ipv4)
>
> (similar entries for eth1 & 2 work fine)
>
> if I boot and then:
>
> ip addr add 192.168.142.1/24 dev eth0
>
> then the address appears using the command "ip addr"
>
> but the 'init' script fails to set it.

Maybe there is something else using/configuring eth0 when/after the init
script tries to set up the interface.
Are you sure you removed everything related to pppoe?

I suggest to connect a terminal program to /dev/ttyS0 and log the boot
process.

Or (less likely) some timing issue? Maybe try some delay.

> I'm beginning to suspect physical damage.

Sounds unlikely because the interface seems to work later.