In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Allen writes:

>That's what they said about changing the conventional longitudes of
>every observatory on the planet in order to get agreement on the value
>of UT starting in 1962.  But in 1961 the IAU said "do it", and they
>did -- even in cases where it caused a time step in the sovereign time
>scale of a nation, and even where it introduced a new, potentially
>ambiguous notion of origin of longitude for civil mapping.

This comparison is so bogus that we ought to frame and hang it.

In 1961, the task was on a few handfulls of scientific people, most,
if not all, of them phd's, and all of them very much at home in the
subject domain.

Fiddling with time_t today would involves more than a million
persons, very few of which can readily tell you what a leap-second is.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956