In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Allen writes:

>> In 1961, the task was on a few handfulls of scientific people, most,
>> if not all, of them phd's, and all of them very much at home in the
>> subject domain.
>>
>> Fiddling with time_t today would involves more than a million
>> persons, very few of which can readily tell you what a leap-second is.
>
>I disagree.  All of the technical part falls into the hands of the
>folks who maintain the zoneinfo files and their code equivalents
>(including other, non-POSIX systems for timezone offsets).

No, that is only the part where time_t gets converted to local time.

All the code that assume that time_t is UTC will get burned, and
trust me: that is far more code than you imagine.

>The rest of those million people need merely install a zoneinfo and
>code update as they do every time any jurisdiction decides to change
>the dates of its daylight time transition.

Simply not true.  A good place to start is the FreeBSD ports-tree
which contains about 18000 piece of open source software.

Try to change time_t to a non-arithmetic type and see how far you
get.

>That POSIX time_t henceforth be interpreted as TI, and that the leap
>seconds go into the zoneinfo files such that most time zones,
>including UTC, start being a number of hours minus leap seconds off
>from TI.

This is exactly the flagday that will make the upgrades to a few
hundered telescopes look like peanuts.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956