Impossible to keep up with all the messages. Presumably it will calm down when the leap second turns out to be a non-issue yet again ;-)

M. Warner Losh wrote:

I contend we don't actually need a mean solar time to the sub-second time scale for civil time. A mean solar time to the hour is likely sufficient for that.

The key issue is the stability of the civil timescale, not its precision. However, degrading the precision by 5 orders of magnitude in one gulp seems rather...excessive. The actual proposal on the table, of course, simply denies the existence of the Sun in the sky.

Rob