In message <0b4062cc-0e7e-407f-a856-37f9c74dc...@noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:
>I wrote:
>
>>> The ITU has a responsibility to consider options with a long term
>>> future.
>
>Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
>
>> ITU has no such responsibility:

>1) An organization with a limited scope (telecommunications) should
>not control a standard with a much broader scope (timekeeping).

People should not kill, machines should not fail, intelligent
discourse should not use should in passive form.

50 years ago, I might have agreed with you (NB: cheap claim, I'm not
that old).

But in the networked global village of this age, I do not: timekeeping
is very much a telecoms issue.

In fact, that is why we even debate leap seconds now:  They are a
bump in the digital road.

Poul-Henning

p...@freebsd.org         | TCP/IP since RFC 956