On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 07:44:46 +1100,Eric B <barl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>my point was always, and stil is: abortion IS illegal by law. nothing else,
>nothing more.
>
>I do understand that practice of a low might be far from what the text of
>the law states. One of the best examples of that is/was smoking
>drugs in the Netherlands: my understanding it that it is not legal by law,
>but tolerated. The purpose of that is that if the lawmakers must reverse
>the decision to tolerate then (ie by pressure from EU?) then this can be
>done very quickly without having to go through the motions of passing a new
>law.

The situation in Queensland is not for those reasons at all.  The simple
fact is that the bible bangers are anti-abortion and they vote!  There is
zero political will to change a law that will have zero change in practice
but will cost them some political support.

In some places (notably the US, but at least once in Australia), being
pro-abortion and/or actually carrying them out can be signing your own death
warrant.  So you simply turn a blind eye.