On 03/10/2011 11:31, Chris Briggs wrote:
I am not convinced by any argument that if Bates wasn't the owner the ticket
prices would be cheaper.

There is a school of thought that says stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap but Bates has never ascribed to this. His dealings with Memberships pre play off finals and the recent suggestion that being a member doesn't guarantee you anything in the event of playoffs suggests that his only interest is getting in as much brass as possible from fans who are only interested in watching the game and none of the contributing activity. Why? because these are the fans who are least likely to complain and who will shell out without question, the best sort of punter for anyone with a "market trader" mentality.

Other clubs have kept their fanbases through thick and thin by treating their supporters far more fairly both in financial terms and in the way that they respect their fans.

I have first hand experience of how clubs like Norwich have operated and it is a world away from Bates' world. Football clubs and their supporters should operate as a community, they could then cope with the vagaries of competetive sport in a far more robust manner.

Business men in the real world would never do some of the things that happen in football, it just seems that as soon as they get a director's parking space outside their footy ground of choice they loose al sense of proportion.

The only money I would put Bates' way would be to pay for that last nail.

Betty
58 today and still not an old git.