Matt,

I have had this problem on an iPhone after I replaced the screen.
In my case it turned out that I had over tightened a screw when putting it back
together, this caused a problem in that it periodically altered the charge that
the screen detected from finger input by way of shorting or earthing the
connection from the screen.
It is worth sitting down for 30 minutes and re-doing the dis-assembly /
re-assembly process to see if it cures the problem.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my iPad