By all accounts I read on Saturday he was not our best player, or even
forward for that matter, so one wonders why our better players didn't get
in the team of the weekend?

Perhaps it's because that accolade is awarded by someone who didn't watch
all of the games in their entirety and based it on the fact he scored a
goal?