Back in the day when I played social league one of my team mates who was
getting increasingly incensed at a run of poor ref decisions against us
shouted "the truth has gone from this game".

The ref turned around and said "this game is not about the truth, it's
about scoring goals."

The truth may be that becchio is crap. But he scores goals (when he gets to
play).