27/2/2014 - 10pm - Not a very good day today.  Still running high fevers.
Doctor took IV line out of artery in neck as thought that may be the reason
for it. They were talking about the possibility of putting others back in.
They continue to do loads of blood tests.  His kidneys have moved in to
doing double time, but instead of taking fluid out of tissue, they are
taking the fluid he drinks and running it through his system super fast.
They want him to drink more and I told them again...he has a very small
stomach and the stuff they are feeding him 24/7 by the tube to his stomach
is keeping his stomach full and he will never be able to drink enough to
combat what the kidneys are doing until you back the tube food off.  He then
will be able to drink and feel like eating.  It might have sunk in as they
are finally stopping the tube feed for part of the day.  I am making his
lunch and now will make his tea and take it in insulated containers and feed
him as he cannot do it himself and he hates the taste of the hospital
food...it is quite awful.  After a mouthful or two, he quits. That is partly
due to the tube feeding.  They got him pretty stirred up after the night
staff decided to totally bathe, moisturise and re-bandage both legs at 2am
last night so it would save them time in the morning.  This is a man who has
just come from being unconscious battling a life threatening disease and has
had exactly one nights sleep since he woke up just so they can save some
time the next day.  I was livid.  He was in pain and so stressed after that
ordeal. He hasn't been comfortable all day.  I will be taking not only his
lunch but now his tea in insulated containers so I know what is in it and
that it tastes good so he will eat it, along with the juices, milk and
whatever else I think he will drink.  His lips have been so dry that they
crack and bleed and he can't have anything put on his lips that has Vaseline
or "petroleum" products in then due to the oxygen he is having to be on
because they are flammable.  I was told the hospital didn't have anything
that didn't contain these products so I could either go down to the hospital
shop to see if they had anything (they didn't) or find something at a shop
"outside the hospital".  Thank you medical staff!  The physical therapy
people didn't show up either.  One of the nurses told me that didn't like
coming on the infectious disease ward so they didn't see them very often.
Steve is there for the duration of his stay as far as I know..how is he
supposed to have this therapy if they don't show up?  There are some other
issues going on which I do believe that I will have to be in contact with
the Patient Advice and Liaison Service about.  Today I didn't know if I was
coming or going.  Why does getting well have to be so dang hard?  Its
driving me crazy trying to makes sense of what the people who are suppose to
be helping him are doing, or in some cases, not doing.  Going to trey to go
get some sleep. 4am telephone call to the ward comes early.

Thanks,

Paula