Wow - I think I must have watched a different game to Rich. Before I read his
report I was going to say that this was a continuation of the Ipswich game but
against better opposition and to suggest that anyone on here who had not been
to ER for a bit should get themselves down there because we are on the brink of
decent things.Yes, they were lively and were a good passing side who were not
afraid to play with the ball and run at us. but for my money we won this
deservedly and could have won much more convincingly.At half time (and 1 up) my
mate actually put money on us winning 4 -0 (admittedly at 35 to 1 or something)
as a decent outside bet.Defensively we are a totally different side to any we
have seen for years and years. The 2 full backs both like to get forward but
are solid on the back foot too, Bartley is a real beast and nothing gets past
him , and as for Jansson he really is different class. My only worry with him
was the fact that he twice played football , going on one mazy run and then
back heeling it - we hoped that his early form was not turning his head. No
need to worry, he was a magnet for the ball in the air (a la Cardiff) and put
in some crunching tackles on the ground, The first Pontus haircut on a young
kid has been seen and his cult status was shown by him having his own chant
(Pontus Janssons magic, he wears a magic hat, and if you throw a brick at him,
he'll head the f*cker back") He stood strong thoughout and made sure that, the
goal apart, (an own goal by Taylor ?) they did not create a single real chance
or trouble Green.First half we all thought that o'Kane was running it, nothing
fancy but picking up all the stray balls and giving it to a Leeds player.
Phillips less so , first half, but second half he was brilliant (and to date I
am not a fan) - he was here, there and everywhere and kept the ball.
The front 4 were not at their best but created chances and had the Barnsley
defence at sixes and sevens. Hernandez is a class apart, Sakho had them running
scared, Dallas worked his socks off and Wood, whilst not great in front of goal
ran them ragged.
We should have scored more, Wood should have picked out O'Kane for a tap in,
should have done better with the one he blasted over, Dallas should have put it
on Woods head etc etc
At 1-0 the team and crowd were all sure we would go on and win (and we did) and
when was the last time you could say that. The second, a lovely finish by
Hernandez, should have been the nail in the coffin but somehow a run down our
right and a cross into the box ended in them pulling one back, but we were
concerned rather than worried as we ran the clock down
So to sum up , for my money, another great performance and one that sent all
the fans (bar Rich ) home happy as we go into the internatinal break
Dave