Well we were promised goals, entertaining football and a side that would have a
philosophy of 'we will score more than you' - not really working out like that
as we have now gone 3 hours at home without a goal and with barely a shot on
target
Although the result was the same as Saturday the game itsef was very different
as Fulham tried to play football rather than just stopping us playing , and
indeed they succeeded for much of the time. The first 25 minutes they pinged it
about and we looked second best. Phillips in particular having a torrid time of
it, then he made on good tackle which raised his confidence and he looked a
different player, getting stuck in and moving the ball well. The team as a
whole got a lift from this and the match was more even.
Both teams however had a real lack of a cutting edge up front so all the fancy
dan stuff went with no reward. We had only one shot on target (apart from
Wood's offside 'goal') - a ball was played through to Wood and since he was a
lot closer to goal this time, I did think he may score, but no, he tried , not
very well, to chip the keeper and made it an easy save
Second half Phillips had a shot from range that fizzed past, Hernandez had a
awful freekick from a brilliant position , and Siaz pulled a shot just wide.
Fulham were as blunt as us and I can only recall Wiedwald making one save when
he came rushing out at the feet of the striker - good action from him. Fulham
aslo hit the post. Perhaps the closest we came was a great cross from Dallas
that just missed the outstretched foot of Wood
So after 32k on saturday over 28K (great for an ordinary midweek league game
for us) fans saw us pass the ball around a bit but have no shots or chances
worthy of the name. Things will need to improve. Fulham will be up there at the
end of the season, so a draw could be a creditable result, having said that 2
pts from 2 home games is not good enough and puts us under pressure to get all
3 pts at Sunderland
Some general observations - Shaunnessey is looking like a real find, he is
growing in confidence and may soon be giving TC a real selection headache.
Anita is a tidy player and good at this level, but not a left back. Saiz is
looking like the real deal - needs to cut out the moaning, diving, showing
imaginary cards and needs to be a bit stronger but I do have faith in him.
Alioski is the opposite so far he shows the odd flash of brilliance and does
have a good work ethic but I think he is finding it faster and more committed
than he expected - maybe leave him on the bench for a while ?
THe keeper still does not fill me with confidence but it is clear what the plan
is with him throwing it out, almost all the time, and generally very quickly -
the defenders (and this is the 4th different back four in his 4 games) need to
get in tune with him and him them.
Pontus - did not notice him at all - not sure if this is good or bad. There was
one great Pontus-style last minute tackle in the box last nigh, but that was by
Shaughnessey !
We need to be patient - it is better than this time last season - and we need
Wood to start scoring or Ekuban to get a run late on to help him out