12 games in and it's been a good journey so far. The transformation from
average championship team to a team holding their own and winning games in the
PL is nothing short of a miracle. However, I think it's clear that we have hit
our first crisis and for me questions have to be asked. Yes, we've been
unfortunate with injuries but if Bielsa's 2 players for each position strategy
included Ayling switching to centre back then we're in trouble. Our defence is
in crisis and looks like conceding at every set piece. A makeshift defence of
Dallas, Allioski, Cooper and Ayling would have raised eyebrows in the
championship but at this level it's the equivalent of football suicide. We have
now receded back to the pre-Monk days where we conceded at nearly every set
piece. Monk sorted that by bringing in Jansson,abandoning player for player
marking in favour of telling Jansson to just go and get the ball. He did, and
we looked solid in defence for that season. Bielsa can't move until January to
sort this problem but hearing him say that we don't need a centre back in
January as we have Ayling and Philips who can play there makes me wonder
whether defence might be his weak point. We need 2 new central defenders now !!!
Last night was a really poor, disjointed performance against a team who are
solid but unspectular. Our home form is really shaky and at the moment we don't
appear to like playing at Elland Road. Maybe the players should spend more time
actually practising on the pitch as someone on WhatsApp suggested. We had too
many attackers on the pitch. The gap between defence and attack was massive and
Phillips and Klich just couldn't cope with their pace and strength. Klich and
Harrison turned in their worst performances in a Leeds shirt and it was no
surprise when West Ham won the game from an unneccesary set piece late on. In
reality, 4 or 5-1 would have been a fairer result and for that we have to thank
Miesler.
Scores:
Miesler - 8. Kept the score reasonable. Maybe should have done better with the
goal but if Dallas let's his man have a free header from 3 yards it's not going
to end well.
Dallas - 4. His worst perfomance under Bielsa. Defensively he was all over the
shop and although he did charge forward a lot in the 2nd half when switched to
left back he was pretty ineffective.
Allioski - 2. When his crosses are hitting the first man and his link up play
with Harrison is non-existent you have to ask what does he bring to the team
other than a massive gap down our left which West Ham exploited ? Subbed at
half-time and rightly so.
Ayling - 6. I thought he did well under extreme pressure in the first half and
overall he was the better central defender but hes obviously out of his comfort
zone and is going to struggle in the PL in this position.
Cooper - 5. He did a lot of good defending and he created our goal however at
key moments he reverted back to league one Liam. He's struggling.
Klich - 5. Hardly completed a pass in the first half and all his usual
intelligent play was missing. 2nd half he looked like he was tired and was
crying out for some assistance.
Philips - 5. Worked hard but looked out of his depth to me. Compare to Declan
Rice who I thought looked strong throughout and also grew into the game and
started to really control the game and push forward with the ball. Philips had
one half-decent shot but overall he was completely outrun an outplayed. To his
credit he kept on battling and did some good defensive work in the 2nd half.
Give him the freedom of the park like he got at Goodison and he can play at
this level. Close him down and run at him and he's out of the game.  A 100%
championship player.
Harrison - 0. I think there was one half decent cross but he looks like he's
totally lost his confidence. He's not linking up, beating his man, putting in
crosses. I think we all questioned whether he had enough at this level. I think
that question is being answered.
Raphinha - 5. Bright start and he worked his socks off but he didn't see enough
of the ball due to that massive gap in midfield. He shouldn't be spending his
time sprinting back and covering but that's what he used most of his energy
doing last night.
Rodrigo - 6.  Started slowly but grew into the game and he was our one player
who looked likely to create something or score late on. He should have done
from that header. I don't see him as a No 10 though and I don't think we can
have the luxury of starting a game with Bamford, Rodrigo, Harrison and
Raphinha. Bamford looks very ineffective in games likes this and when he was
subbed the obvious switch for me was to push Rod up front and bring on Pablo to
play the no 10. Instead Bielsa brought on Roberts who looks low on confidence
and was totally ineffective. He's done that before because in his mind he has
to substitute a striker for a striker and for some reason Rodrigo isn't a
striker ? Very frustrating and what is going on with Pablo ? Why have him on
the bench if we're not going to use him when chasing the game. Pablo has to
come in for Newcastle.
Bamford - 4. Bought the pen well but apart from that he looked ineffective
although the service wasn't exactly there.
Subs:
Shackleton - 6. At least he had a go, showed some aggression and running.
Roberts - 3. Ran about a bit.
Costa - 0. Possibly the worst sub performance I've ever seen. Lost possession,
gave away the free kick for the goal and on the whole looked a completely
different player to the one who bagged a brace against Fulham.
Hard time ahead especially with the defensive situation. Scum to come as well.