http://www.smh.com.au/breaking/9909/09/A58460-1999Sep9.shtml

Director of Caritas East Timor reportedly killed

Source: AAP | Published: Thursday September 9 1:37:53 PM

Rampaging militia had killed the East Timorese head of the Catholic aid
agency Caritas, the organisation said today.

The Reverend Father Francisco Barreto is believed to be one of several
East Timorese clergy killed by the anti-independence militia, Caritas
Australia chairman Bishop Hilton Deakin said in a statement.

"The information we have received suggests that other local Caritas East
Timor staff members may have also been killed," Bishop Deakin said.

http://www.smh.com.au/breaking/9909/09/A58589-1999Sep9.shtml

Indon rejects Aust offer to guard UN compound

Source: AAP | Published: Thursday September 9 3:18:57 PM

AUCKLAND: Indonesia has rejected an Australian offer to allow armed
soldiers to guard the United Nations compound in Dili.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer announced the rejection as he conceded
Indonesia was unlikely to approve a peacekeeping force for East Timor
before October.

Mr Downer said Australia had suggested putting more security around the
UNAMET compound, where thousands of terrified East Timorese have sought
refuge since pro-Indonesian militias began murderous rampages following
the successful independence ballot last week, to Indonesia.

'We proposed that there be some armed soldiers go in and assist the
security just of the UNAMET operation but the Indonesians have rejected
that,' Mr Downer told reporters today.

'They haven't wanted any armed soldiers from foreign countries on
Indonesian soil,' he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newslink/nat/newsnat-9sep1999-86.htm

Pleas for Aust to be safe haven for E Timor

The Northern Territory's Ethnic Communities Council wants Australia to
provide a safe haven for the people of East Timor.

The council's Nina Lemos has lost contact with her family members who
fled Dili earlier this week.

Ms Lemos says Australia has an obligation to give the people of East
Timor the same support ethnic Albanians received during the Kosovo crisis.

"I think it's just really bad and we don't know what to do anymore.

"Hurry up please, people are dying you know and there is nothing we can
do and there is nothing that the Australian
people can do except apply pressure [to the Government]," Ms Lemos said.