THE STICK TOGETHER SHOW

National community radio's weekly program of industrial, social & workplace
justice issues.

=========================

Heard on 3CR Community Radio (855AM) this week:

Friday 16/2/01 at 8.30am
Saturday 17/2/01 at 10.30am
Monday 19/2/01 at 6.00am

'Work': who defines it & how does it define us?

Sharon Beder is associate professor in the Science, Technology & Society
program at the University of Wollongong. Having worked for several years as
an engineer, in 1989 she turned her hand to writing books on a variety of
issues such as sustainable development, science & technology,
environmentalism & corporate PR.

Her most recent book, released in December, looks at the historical
development of the work ethic in English-speaking modern industrial
societies & at the impact of this development for our current notions of
work and leisure.

Selling the Work Ethic: from puritan pulpit to corporate PR looks at how
the notion of "work" defines the worth and social value of the individual
in society. And at how this concept is "sold" within the modern industrial
society. And at the impact that the dominance of this work ethic has on how
we organise our lives in a work-dominated society and how we define our
worth in society.

NB: Selling the Work Ethic is published by Scribe Publications in Australia.

Direct Action:
The story of Herb Edwards, Norwegian immigrant logging worker who tells of
the Spokane Free Speech fight (1910). "Told"/sung by Utah Phillips to a
live audience in New Orleans in 1999.

Taken from Fellow Workers, featuring ani difranco & Utah Phillips & his
Mensabilly Band.
Produced by ani difranco. Righteous Babe Records 1999.

NB: This program is a repeat of one that went to air last year, which
proved very popular with listeners.