  From: Tim Krause
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:52 AM
  Subject: Re: Bowls

  It appears bowls, plates and similar shapes are left to the lathe guys since
there is no response.

  The more I started to think about making platters I started to wonder if the
Legacy and the rotary table are really up to the task.  Let's talk about this
simple elegant design.

  It's 9" in diameter and less than a 1/2" thick.  How would we make such an
elegant curve on the inside or outside?  In the example above the curve is a
22" radius.  There's no stock bit that comes close to this.

  My first though for the inside is to use a z-axis template to create the
curve.  Basically mount a story board to the back rail to enable setting the
height of either a crown moulding bit or the 808 2" cove bit.  Then proceed
slowly carving out the shape making adjustments along the way. The outside
could use a similar method.  Followed up with a hand sander, the shape might be
plausible.

  Has anyone tried this? Is there another approach we could take to make this
or is this job not possible on the Legacy? I've always felt the Legacy style of
turnings Achilles heal is elegant turnings.  Hopefully we can get past this
stereotype!

  -Tim

  No virus found in this message.