Hi Tim
First time poster but I've enjoyed reading all of the posts since being
allow to and thank you for that. The Ornamental turners frequently
substitute a pen for the cutter and a paper holder in place of the
 material..Provides an accurate, cheep look. I realize ornamental lathes
are more accurate than a legacy so maybe substitute a lite cardboard for
the paper and find a proper sized pen to fit the router chuck.
Cheers   Tom Dotta