John
Wow! nicely said and done. I like your point of veiw. Thank you for shairing
with us.

From: John Sasinowski <jesasinow...@gmail.com>
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Sent: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 04:51:25 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: No CNC's required

Here are a few thoughts on the subject.

Materials:

Over time the materials we work with, and the attitudes we have towards them,
change.
I used to think of veneers as a means to beautiful ornamentation, but mostly as
a way to cheat and skimp on using good raw materials.  In recent years, as the
beautiful woods have become scarcer, veneering can be viewed as less a 'cheat'
and more a way to conserve precious natural resources.
I don't recall seeing laminated bamboo anything here in the USA while growing
up, and now you find it in many places.
At the other end of the spectrum, I may read about how to machine ivory in old
woodworking texts but never expect to ever put that knowledge to use.
For me, working with wood led to curiosity about machining metals (real
mysterious stuff at first!) and now some of the 3D printing technologies.
Understanding one set of materials can lead to insights and new perspectives in
others.Machining technology:

Tool technology broadened from hand tools, to machines that spin cutters and
workpieces, to computer controlled motion of each.  Knowledge of the earlier
technologies is valuable when working with the later ones, and the later
developments do not obviate the need for the earlier tools.  I may use a legacy
mill, router table, and track guided circular saws, and I may have thoughts of
building a CNC woodworking machine, but I still enjoy using hand planes and
chisels.
Like all tools, CNC can be used for good or ill. I personally am not usually
impressed by attempts to mimic hand carving with a CNC router.  On the other
hand, CNC can expand one's creative expression to create less rectilinear
shapes with good control. In metal working, for example, manual milling of
smooth curves that aren't circular segments is very difficult - extend shapes
to require 4- or 5- axis motion of a cutter, and you have a challenging problem
on your hands if you're going to do that manually.
New technology can provide alternate ways to accomplish existing tasks. If I
want to flatten a board, I can: use hand planes; run it through my
jointer/planer; put a table in the ornamental mill and flatten it with a
bottom-cutting bit. If I had a CNC router, I could use that, too. There isn't
an obviously universally correct choice.
As Tim mentioned, the 3D printers are an interesting new technology. I don't
know that I want to try to print something that tries to look like wood.
Rather, it's another set of materials and machining options that should further
expand what one can build.  A 3D printer can be used to produce an actual
desired object.  Its power also lies in the ability to truly visualize multiple
variations on a design in the real-world - you can pick them up, move them
around, manipulate them, see them in different lighting, etc. Want to
experiment with proportion?  Would you rather look at a few drawings or some
physical models of your new creation?
Couple 3D scanning with 3D printing, and you have not just a 3D copy machine or
replicator, but the ability to say, "I like the shape of this object, but I
want to make a few edits and change it a bit to make it better fit my
needs/aesthetics/desires."New technologies are best viewed in concert with all
that went before, rather than as fully supplanting them.
I can certainly envision designing a project in CAD software, printing a few
scale models on a 3D printer until I get it right, printing a few jig
components, machining some metal components and jig elements on my CNC mill,
running lumber through my wood shop tools, and fine tuning joinery with hand
tools - maybe even hand carving some decorative details if I develop those
skills.

Of course, the one thing I need more of is time to further explore all of
this...  :-)

OK, back to my real job for a bit...

- John