Jerry,
If you have, or know someone who has, a Shopsmith, one of its "modes" is "horizontal boring device".  That is somewhat like functioning as a drill press, however in the horizontal.  In that mode you lay your object on the saw table, with one end against the fence.  You then use the feeding quill, w/drill chuck attached, to bore your hole.  Advantage: the saw table provides a very stable base to support the object being bored.  I have a friend that uses his to bore turnings that he uses for lamps - wire fed up bored hole.
The Shopsmith has a variable speed motor - so you can slow down/speed up rpm's based on hole size and material being drilled out.
I know there are some Group members who own Shopsmiths - they may also have further tips for you.
Have fun w/your "new" tool.