joe biunno here...just got back from the Pittsburgh(actually Gibsonia) area
after purchasing a very nice 1200...like new condition...gear motor
drive... all controls and limit switches...z axis upgrade...numerous
accessories...this was listed on ebay not too long ago but got no
bids...sent an e-mail, a little back and forth dickering and before i knew
it, i was on my way(6 1/2 hour drive each way)...so now i have the two
machines to combine into one...overall length will be 17 ft....with 16 ft
between centers...first phase is to design a functional and straight(
i.e.-NO sag) base...with wheels, which is a must in our shop...once that is
done i will set up the two machines( the other being an 1800) and see to
what extent and complexity i need the attach the two together...if the base
does it's job well(to near perfection is my standard), then joining the two
will be easy...but of course joining the lead screw will be difficult, but
doable, in my opinion...or i can possibly find one in the length needed for
this application...i am more concerned about setting up a support system
for the screw...i did see the photo of that very large legacy that tim
posted, but enlarging it did not give me the details needed to reproduce
it...i might wonder if andy, tracy or john could help with a better photo
of the apparatus...might be asking a lot as it is their design...i would
buy the assembly from them if they offered it to me, but not sure how
receptive they would be to that idea...on another note,i'll throw a hook
out there and offer a possibility that i might sell a number of items that
have been duplicated from these two purchases...i have gear sets
galore...indexing plate sets...horizontal vises...and other pieces...i need
to list on paper everything i have to organize it better...and three, z
axis upgrades...one i'll need of course...the others consist of a complete
unit and one tower does not have the rails...i'll decide what i want to
keep, once i have completed the modification...i am also considering
selling the better cnc performance upgrade that was available back in
'08...this is new and never used(and originally $8,000, i believe)...most
packages still sealed/never opened...what price?-not sure yet...might
consider an ebay thing, although i have never sold on ebay...anyway, hope
to photograph the work as it progresses and post it to the site...take care
and wish me luck...i'm going to need it!