hi curtis...thanks for the reply...well, too bad regarding rails...that
wasn't a necessity anyway, so we move forward!...although having access to
it, could have made jigs and fixtures a bit easier to construct and "mesh"
into our machines...in regards to sag issues, i plan on building a wood
base for the machine in such a way that there will virtually be no sag in
the base(at best, perhaps a very small shim will be needed in the center of
the machine, to true things up)...a design of vertical, 3/4", baltic birch
plywood, 16"-24" wide, with many pieces staggered, should do the job
easily...only in my case, the base must come apart in pieces no longer than
8 ft...i have done this before, so i have a high confidence of getting this
done well...i do anticipate sag in the bed...but since the bed gets
"locked" into the vertical machine supports, i am thinking some square
aluminum tubing(probably 1 1/2" sq.  with a 1/4" wall) strategically placed
across the joints of only the bed will keep the bed rails from
sagging...the same idea for the joints of the machine as well...this will
keep all the joints not only from sagging, but straight, front to back as
well(i.e. up and down ,front to back will be straight)...but again, the key
is that these rails get tightened against the vertical supports...i cannot
combine the two machines together as independent pieces as the work i
intend to do needs to be continuous, no breaks...and the flipping idea is
awkward as i need to have this set-up be as user friendly as
possible(hey!,someone has to be able to use this while i am chasing down
machines!...LOL!)...and in regards to setting up a spindle motor...i
currently do all my turnings on an oliver pattern maker's lathe...96"
between centers...can handle all our bed posts,table legs and other
turnings quite well...has an 8ft. vega duplicator on the backside(getting
that extra long, aluminum extrusion was quite a feat!, as vega does not
make a duplicator that long), and easily handles all oour repetitive work,
while allowing traditional turning for our single pieces while workink of
the front of the lathe...what the legacy will be primarily used for is to
do curtain poles, which i can get plain round, in 2", 2 1/4" and 2 1/2"
diameters and in lengths of 16ft. or more, if necessary...but i do want to
make this set up do all that a typical legacy could do, so a spindle motor
mod will be done in the near future...but i see this as only being
necessary for long, large diameter work that would not fit into the oliver
lathe...but i always consider the re-sale value of a machine when doing
modifications so there will be an all out effort to do it right from the
get go...again, many thanks for your input and keep the ideas and thoughts
coming!...joe biunno