From: joe biunno <finun...@aol.com>
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Cc: nokiia...@msn.com
Sent: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 05:32:25 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Legacy Artisan 72 for Sale in Southern California asking 18000

curtis,
          please allow me some comments to your post...the $10.00 to $18.00 you
mentioned i'll assume refers to material cost...allowing $15.00 now brings the
labor cost down to $40.00...now, any decent woodworker should make at least
$20.00 per hour...throw in vacations, holidays, FICA matching costs,workmen's
comp., etc.,etc. and the per hour cost is even greater...let's say $25.00...now
you have $15.00 to cover a business's rent,
electric,phone,maintenance,etc....and here's a shock- a business is there to
actually make a PROFIT!...so actually, that $55.00 was/is a very good deal for
the customer...but a very bad price to an ongoing woodworking shop...now if you
are the person making that post for $55.00(in a one person business), and you
are working out of your garage, the equation changes...there is no rent per
say, electric is minimal since it is already part of the house expenses,
vacations and holidays?-HA!,perhaps it is a cash transaction so we eliminate
uncle sam from the process and now that $55.00 seems like not too bad a price
to charge...but to the woodworker who has a commercial shop, with employees, it
is a death sentence...so it might be easy money to the one man shop, but
certainly not to a business with employees...i only make these comments because
if you are an independent woodworker trying to make a living(mortgage,car
payments,food, raising kids,etc.), it is very difficult out there...and you are
correct in saying that you just have to figure out what everyone wants and sell
it to them, but there are most likely a good number of people doing the same
thing, and thus throwing a fair price structure out the window...just a bit of
work experience i have been experiencing over the past several years...take
care and be well...and would love to see that twisted telephone pole!...joe
biunno