i do consider myself fortunate to have a small metal working shop within my
wood shop...we do use it occasionally  for some jobs but it really helps
out when doing a machine jig or mod...but if this linear bearing mod works
out(and i would emphasize the "if"), it can be done on any legacy machine
without the need for welding...taking off for a week or so, so an update
won't be forth coming until next year!...thanks to all for their input, it
is appreciated and helpful...merry christmas and a happy,healthy and
prosperous new year...joe biunno