On longer mills this upgrade may not effect tapers too much. But the shorter mills will bind this up, I'm afraid. You should see how sloppy my Wood Chuck is, never ever jumped a tooth. And I have all the fine teeth gears too. Hope this does not become a problem for you. Only way to tell is set it at full taper.

Mike
OK

On 1/20/2015 5:45 PM, Bill Bulkeley wrote:

Can the mill still do tapers I have found that I like a bit of slop in everything in the gears and linkage so there is enough movement for when you lower one end of the rails to mill tapers.

Bill

*From:*legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com [mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, 21 January 2015 10:03 AM
*To:* legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
*Subject:* gear carriage bearing upgrade

ok, so doing some work on the headstock end and saw that the gear carriage assembly was a bit loose and "floating" around a bit...a further inspection revealed that the bronze bearings were worn a bit and that was enough to cause gears to wobble and perhaps,at times, not mesh properly...some quick measurements and a dive into the mcmaster book and i could see with just a few shaft collars(3 total) and a couple of needle bearings, things should tighten up much better than replacing the bronze bushings...so an improvement was called for...a little bit of welding, some minimal grinding and the job is done...total time was 1 1/2 hours, start to finish...the end result is an incredible difference...the carriage is very tight and does not move or waver at all...replacing the bearings is a snap, as well, as split collars were used, although i might expect the needle bearings to last a very long time...with this mod, the machine is now totally on bearings(in the process of doing the "Z" axis now), all axis' and all turning points...sorry for the two bad photos, close-ups just don't come out well with the camera i am currently using...and haven't decided what color to paint this one yet, waiting for a suggestion from curtis...LOL!...anyway, all comments welcome and more mods to follow...and if anyone should want more detailed info on this mod(like specific mcmaster numbers, for example) or any i have done in the past, feel free to ask...thanks...joe

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com <mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/legacy-ornamental-mills.