extending the "Y" axis rails on my mill...similar technique as i described
in the "extending rail" post,,,but now i also have the added benefit of
adding the linear rail carriage...the linear carriage railing adds some
serious stiffness to the joined legacy rail, and underneath the railing is
the 1 1/2" flat bar...the linear rail "nestles" itself into the legacy rail
and self centers itself, so no side, set screws were necessary on this
side...nor was it necessary to add that 5/8" piece of flat bar into the
side of the legacy rail...there is a piece of 1 1/2" bar on the underside
of the legacy rail, creating a "sandwich" effect...here we did use the
10-32 set screws to take out any play...very strong and very
straight...added approximately 12" to the "Y" axis...photos of completed
and installed "Y" carriage to follow soon...joe