Ps opps forgot for the spine how about square tubing eather steel or more
likely  aluminium. like our mills rails less flexing in aluminium

Bill

From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of CURTIS GEORGE
Sent: Sunday, 26 June 2016 5:48 AM
To: Legacy-Ornamental-Mills
Subject: Project idea, trail and Error.

Hello Everyone.

Here is a project that I just wanted to try out, I glued it up over the week,
and let it fully dry, today I started the turning.

What you are looking at is, end grain used on a walking stick, with an All
thread rod as the center/spine. of this rod. THe idea is/was to use end grain
wood for walking sticks, the rod would add strength  and make it easy to add on
the handle and foot, once done.

I had a lot of scraps in the old storage bin, Teak,Mahogany,and some kind of
neat looking pallet wood for central america. all cut into squares and drilled
out to fit onto a 3/8" steel all thread rod.

The problem quickly was I,D,d . the center flexed a lot when being turned on
the Legacy, even at the slow speed of the Legacy, the wood flexed. I tried to
use my center support brace to keep the flexing, but sadly after trying every
trick that I could think of , the flex won out. This is much thinner than I had
planed,  The end grain looks really nice, but I need to find a better material
for the  spine.

Dose any one have any ideas???

Any and All ideas are (as always.) welcome.

Have a Great weekend.

C.A.G.

[image/jpeg:IMG_6923.JPG]

[image/jpeg:IMG_6924.JPG]