Joe, I'm seeing your pictures on a large screen and now see what you are pointing out about the sideways wear. I'm wondering if a longer split nut would help spread out the load. Go from a 4 thread engagement to a 6 or 8. Is that that the split nut from your monster machine?

The wear patterns I see is the thread gets deeper and the split nut does not fully seat. That's why sanding away the bottom surface works. You need to catch it early before the nut is nearly ruined like yours.

Stan brings up an interesting idea about using a 3d printer. Is nylon 6/6 available for those machines? Possibly a material change to a harder plastic might help such as nylon 6 or PTFE. These are thoughts off the top of my head. Tensile strength may vary :-).