If your nut is turning sideways, there is too much friction in the system.  Now
I don't know if this applies to the early machines, but the top hat bushings in
the new machines are notorious for this problem.  There was a final update to
the split nut that had shoulders that prevented the split nut from twisting,
but without solving the friction issue it lead to stripping the nut instead of
just twisting the nut out of the holder.  I don't have a picture of this, but
there is a conversation in the group that had a photo.

Knowing what I know now, I would make a tap from a piece of existing acme.  I
do own a 5/8-4 acme tap that I imported from England via a eBay seller.  There
is nobody in the states that would even entertain the idea of one.  If I
recall, they were old stock and never made again by the supplier.  If anyone
has a source, it would be good to know about.

⁣