i'll offer an opinion here, as this could have been a problem for me on my
recently acquired 1500...the problem is, due to the action/movement of the
lead screw, the threads in the split nut wear sideways, especially when
using a drive motor...think of each cross section of thread as a square(see
photo)...I measured the cross section of the thread(in a new nut) to be
.140" wide...in the photo of the worn nut, that same dimension is down to
.065...so you could say the thread went from 1/8" full(new) to 1/16"...and
sanding the nut down is not going to improve the function of the nut, in my
opinion...maybe early on you can sand the nut to get a bit more life out of
it, but that's it...the key to solving this problem is finding the 5/8-4
acme thread tap...once you have the tap, to make a new split nut is
somewhat simple...and anyone who has that "hinged" split nut, I would swap
that out and set up a sliding split nut...much more problematic to make
that hinged split nut...so, if any member knows where to get that tap, here
or overseas, please let the group know...I certainly would like to purchase
one...barring that, I would also attempt to make a tap from some acme,
threaded rod, if I had to...and the casting idea is also an excellent
idea...joe b.