Consider cypress one the most rot resistant wood species available and
affordable.

Mike K

From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Lou Lossi
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 11:13 AM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
Subject: Porch Column Base

I’ve been asked by a friend to make three column bases to replace rotted ones
for a front porch and had a few questions for the knowledgeable folks on this
site. I have not been out to the property to inspect but the homeowner sent a
drawing and pic with measurements for me and I hope I can do it on my LOM. The
base is 15” square on the bottom, 14” round the next tier up, and 13” round
above that. Each tier is 1.5” thick resulting in a total height of 4.5” tall. I
suggested using white oak for its durability and strength and found some 8/4 at
my local lumber supplier that could be milled down to the 1.5” tiers. Since I
do not have a lathe, I had planned on making these solid and routing the
profile edges with the LOM rotary table then gluing each of the three pieces up
for the completed base. After reading the posts here regarding columns and
bases, I’m seeing bases that are hollow in the inside. Would I be subject to
any issues if I left them solid and just glued them up? I was going to use
Titebond III for the glue. Would I need to screw and glue or even dowel them
for added strength? Instead of 1.5” thick for each tier, should I perhaps glue
up ¾” pieces to make profiling the edges a little easier? I’m in the process of
making a mock up just using 1.5” pine to see how things go to see if I can
handle this. The homeowner is hoping I can get it close to the existing ones
just going by the pics, but if all goes well after the mock up, I will visit
the property to get a complete accurate profile.

I know Mike Pung has done a ton of these and reading his posts has inspired me
to give this a shot. Any and all suggestions and opinions are gladly accepted
from those who have any experience attempting these.

Thanks in advance,

Lou