Lou,
Most of the Cypress you buy today is not that rot resistant. Unless you can
get some of the old growth stuff, it is not worth using. It is also pretty
soft wood. White oak is a good choice as it is rot resistant and a very
hard wood and would hold up to abuse. White Oak does not readily absorb
moisture so it has been used as the floor timbers for centuries until
pressure treated came on the market. It is what whisky barrels are made of
due to its properties. Most posts are hollow for air passage to allow
drying and reduce rot.

A few years ago I made a round mirror frame and used my mitersaw to cut the
angles to make the circle. It was done in about 14 or 16 pieces. It is
almost impossible to get that many joints cut perfect so that when the
circle is put together, that all joints will be tight. I figured out a way
to cheat. I got the angle really close and cut all the blocks. I then glued
together one half and then the other half as a group. You can then mount
the half on a board and cut a straight line on the tablesaw using the
fence. With the two halves now cut straight, just glue the two and there
you are with all the joints perfectly tight. No one has to know you didn't
cut all those joints perfect unless you tell them.
db