On a 6inch dia piece How about a 2 inch rope bit with a 12inch pitch using the
2x multiply gears  3 start rope

That’s of the top of my head

Bill

From: 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Monday, 2 April 2018 11:10 PM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Working toward a Legacy Mill

Hello and Good morning Ira.

As a General rule of thumb, a rope pitch should be 2-3 time the diameter of the
spindle.  This is just a general rule.

If I make a 6" spindle and only use a 6" pitch the spindle will look more like
an All thread rod. there would not be enough pitch to make this spindle look
pleasing to the eye. Im not saying you cant do it, Perhaps as a design element
you may want something like this?

Legacy in there training videos explain the process pretty well, as far as the
math goes.  I personalty like Mike Pungs version for ease of use.  But it all
depends on what you want to make. sometimes a flaw or mistake, from the
original plan turns out to work out nicely for you.

For this reason,  I rarely tell people what I am making until the project is
done, That way to 4 poster bed that I had planed to make, doesn't look as bad,
when I show you  the pencil box that I made.  ;-p

With all kidding aside, I have had a few mistakes over the years, that turned
out looking very nice once the project was done.  That's why I tell everyone to
play with there machine a lot,

once you understand the machine will to this.(X) When I do that.(Y) you can
know for sure how the machine will handle under different operations, at any
given time. I call it "PLAY TIME".

Or Saw Dust Therapy.  Go out there and make some saw dust, and then you will
see what comes out form it. ;-)

Have a great day.

I'm going to go out there right now, and Play some more... ;-)

Take care.

C.A.G.