been playing on the computer today, researching the rose engine lathe...
updating myself on the one company(it seems!) that makes a rose engine
lathe... and nearly fell over when I saw the price(and not sure if it is an
updated price!)… $83,500 !!!!! … and you could easily spend another $50,000
on accessories!!!! … WOW!... no doubt, it is an incredible piece of
equipment and superbly made... like a customer once said to me after I gave
them an estimate, "but the price!"... LOL... but then it occurred to me,
will computer driven equipment make it obsolete?... what about 3D
printers?, that are getting more sophisticated every day as well as more
affordable to the general public... can either do what the rose engine
lathe can do?... about the only thing I can think of, that a Legacy would
have an advantage over any of those three methods(rose lathe, computer
carving or 3D printing) is it's large capacity ability(and
affordability!)... would love to find the time to explore a "rocking" type
motion for the Legacy headstock and tailstock(in unison, of course)… but
how to have a rocking motion and still have it connected to the gear
train(and thus, the lead screw), is the dilemma... oh well, just some
random thoughts today... hope everyone is doing well... been following the
posts but just a bit hectic the past nine months or so... joe b.